Monday, November 06, 2006

News From A Long Week! (Sept. 5, 2006)

Dear All,

It's seems so long since I wrote to you. I may have forgotten some of the happenings of the week, but I will try. I will start will the non-exciting facts: I finally caught a cold. I knew it would come at some point, but I did not except it overnight. I went to bed and woke up with a runny nose - imagine that! I do honestly think we should stop catching colds at age 5 - after that, it's embarrassing. Well, it helps that I live with a nurse. I am recovering quickly.

I realized last week how banks in the US spoil us. When you enter one, it does not matter whether you have $50 or thousands, you get wonderful customer service. Of course I understand that some customers are "more equal than others", but it nonetheless is still good service. I will spare you the details, but I thought you should hear this. I went to open a savings account; the lady looked at my application and asked how I was going to pay my rent if I were not employed. I told her it should not be any of her concerns especially considering that I was about to lend her bank money. She was nicer to me after that. Many businesses treat customers as though they are doing them a favor (I know that is a very unclear sentence and my professors and a few writer friends would not be pleased). So this is what I am trying to say - that the customers, with their money in hand, are often treated as beggars/favor seekers. I have been complaining and my friends say it is the way of Uganda and I will get used to it, but I said that I believe I can change things around and I believe I have done so in some areas.

And the wonderful aspects of my country: the air in the morning is so refreshing that if I did not love to sleep as much as I do, I would wake up at six everyday and just...breathe. We have avocados so big and tasty that they could sell for $6.00 each in the US. We also have the best pineapples in the entire world. I know I have not eaten pineapple from the entire world, but I also know that it does not get better than this. I am sorry Ali, but the roasted pork is, oh so fabulous!

Jazz lovers - get jealous! I went to see and hear Hugh Masekela of South Africa play right in the middle of Kampala on Saturday. I guess you would describe his music as Afro-Cuban with South African vocals (and if you know South African music, you would agree that those people have some of the best vocal anywhere in the world). The wealthy Ugandans who paid hundreds of thoughts of shillings to have a meal during the show took up all the dance space, but we did quite fine in the aisles. It was a fun night.

Job search update: I have an appointment with World Bank Uganda for the 18th of September. I know they fund the Nile Basin Initiative. I am hoping that something will come out of it. I am waiting for an appointment confirmation from the director at the International Law Institute (thanks, Neha). And I am still waiting to hear back from the Uganda Law Society. In the meantime, I am reading a lot on the Uganda Land Act and Constitution.

Well, this a bit of a boring e-mail - I guess beings inside with a cold does not bring about many exciting events. And I am sorry my emails are not including pictures. I am still a film girl, but I do promise to invest in a digital camera as soon as I get settled and have a steady income.

I hope work, school and all else you're doing is going well. Enjoy your last warm days -:(

Much love from the land of sunshine!
Agie

No comments: