It is now mango and grasshopper season - yum!!! Rose and I bought a small container of grasshoppers today and shared them with our two American friend, who said they tasted like shrimp. So, please trust me when I say our grasshoppers are pretty, nutrious and tasty.
Last week a couple of friends and I witnessed an accident. Well, I did not have the guts to get really close, but my brother Peter and our friend David saw the aftermath. What happened is that a truck hit a boda boda (scooter bike) while turning. As happens in any accidents here, the truck driver took off running. Other boda guys took the bleeding boda rider away. The passenger of the boda boda, a lady, lay on the ground bleeding with a broken leg. There were policemen around, but there was nothing being done to transport he to a hospital 2km away. So, Peter offered to pay for a special taxi to take her to the hospital and all the drivers refused. We found out, of course after yelling at them, that there was an existing law that allows the police to detain anyone who takes a victim of an accident to the hospital. The sad thing is that they are not questioned for invistigative purposes, but they are basically accused of causing the accident. So now people just look on until a police truck comes, but sometimes the truck is too late. The country needs an ambulance system, but before we get the will and money to do that, we need some competent lawmakers.
Having said that, there is a hospital that is doing lots of good - the International Hospital Kampala. It was started by the most wonderful Irishman (Rose's adopted father). This hospital is working so hard to revolutionalize patient care not only in Kampala, but also in the rest of the country. It has clinics in several areas of the country and in Juba, Sudan. One new initiative of the hospital is Hope Ward. Hope Ward is a 25 bed ward that will offer free and comprehensive care to the poorest and neediest patients at the hospital. The hospital is also partnering with several companies to adopt beds. This weekend I participated in a 5k run to raise money for the ward. I am still open to sponsorships (I am sorry I thought the run was this coming weekend, but I do have evidence that I participated, which I will send tomorrow). Please if you can sponsor me to support this wonderful cause, you will be enabling IHK to do so much good. If you can do anything, please send it to Gyavira Kasule at 4916 Junius Street, Dallas, TX 75214, so he can collect it and send it via Western Union or MoneyGram. Thank you in advance!
More to come soon. I am sorry I have been taking long to update you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment