Monday, November 06, 2006

Home Safely (Aug. 23, 2006)

Dear Friends,

I am sorry this email is long over due - I accidentally deleted my contact list, so I had to go back from email to email and re-save addresses. Anyway, that's all done. I just wanted to thank you for your prayers - I am safely in Uganda and it feels good to be back.

I slept 95% of the flight. I was afraid I would be so lonely since I have never made the trip alone, but as it turns out, I was perfectly fine. The only dramatic event is that I almost missed my flight in Amsterdam. I had the wrong gate on my boarding pass. As I was wondering why there were no people at the gate, I heard my name on the intercom saying I was delaying the plane and they were about to unload my bags from the plane. Well, I ran like a mad woman from E17 to D53 (starting from the beginning of the D block). I was the last one to get on the plane, and I call it my lucky day!

Uganda is alive, busy, fun and hot, but not as hot as Dallas. I am still getting over the jet lag, but it does not last that long in Uganda. I had my first job search meeting on Monday with the Uganda Law Society (very nice people). They are reviewing my resume and we will meet again next week. I am still hunting down the other contacts.

Yesterday I went on a long run in the slums of Muyenga, kinda got lost, but was joined by a young man, nicely dressed, but nonetheless wanted to run with me. So we ran for about 2 miles to the path that led me home. I am slowly finding my way around and taking in everything. I will send more interesting news next time - this one was to just let you know that I am ok.

I hope you're all well. Until next time..
Love,
Agie

1 comment:

Dr. Catherine Civello said...

Dear Agnes,
I would like to share excerpts from your blog with the St. Alcuin community in the biannual Notes magazine. I would use only the parts about your work and the Ugandan culture. I am now the Director of Publications and Alumni Affairs there.
May I have your permission to do so?
Much love,
Dr. Civello