Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Sr. Rose Muyinza

Yesterday morning, we lost a legend, a mother of all, a "sister act", the woman who worked tirelessly to make something of us, Sr. Rose Muyinza. She has been looking after orphaned and vulnerable children since 1971, when she founded Daughters of Charity. She started catering and decorating services, and a music, dance & drama group to raise school fees and other needs for us. She brought out the best in us, be it fashion, academics, dance, etc. She was 100% unconventional is a society that is so traditional. She always kept her vail on, a neatly pressed blue dress, and a nice pair of SAS shoes. She knew everything about everything - fashion, dance, constume design, music composition, cooking, pyschology, humor, etiquette, religion, faith, hope, evrything...! She has was the neatest eater I have encountered - with her British style - fork in the left and knife in the right. She was the most selfless person I know. She had a way with children that even now, you can tell who passed through Sr. Rose's care. I would not be who I am today if she had not taken me in. She brought out the best in me - she took a shy, timid, skinny chil, made her a leader, gave her the best she could, and let her fly. I am grateful for her. May her soul rest in peace!

2 comments:

Buddu said...

Yes, Sr. Rose Muyinza! She was a person from a different place and a different time. She loved beyond measure. She cared for children through and through. She gave of her self 100%.

I remember in 1999 I was in Uganda for four month. I volunteered with DOC. One day, kids were going back to school and Sr. Rose was busy preparing everyone for school, counseling, comforting, packing etc. By late afternoon, most of the students were gone. There was one young man who did not look happy, Sr. Rose went to him to find out what was wrong as he looked beside himself. She had him on her lap.

Later I found out that the boy did not have all the requirements he needed to go back to school. Among the things he needed were bed sheets. I learnt that Sr. Rose literally took her own bed sheets from her bed and gave them to this young man. To me that was selflessness beyond measure.

Sr. Rose Rest in Peace, and may your light and love continue to shine in those you touched.

Agie said...

Buddu, that's a beautiful memory. Almost brought tears to my eyes. What a woman!